Abracadabra: Now you see it, now you don't!


{Updated photo: Summer 2012}









Things may not be exactly as they appear in the above photo of our bedroom.  Let's take a look at a diagram of our bedroom …


The right side of this diagram is the front of our house; from the outside those two windows are very balanced. But the window placement created a wonky feel to the interior space for this symmetry loving girl. And to make matters worse, our front windows are long, leaving no room underneath for standard furniture, so I lived for many years with “non-performing square footage” in the front half of the bedroom. Sort of forced us to have all furnishings in a too small area creating an awkward, narrow, single traffic lane (to bathroom and closets).


So I reshaped our bedroom without needing any building permits!  All I needed was a little trompe l’oeil, a visual illusion, and I had the symmetry I desired and I was able to arrange the furniture and regain that non-performing square footage! 


First, let's take a look at the new furniture arrangement … ahhh, breathing space around the furniture, open traffic lanes, and even room for additional furnishings!



So what was the abracadabra trompe l’oeil illusion I used?  Let's take a look at the "bed wall", this time using a photo taken Fall 2010, shortly after we moved back home after our house fire  ...



And now let's take a look at what is really behind those shutters on the left and the curtain ...


On the right side of the bed there is an actual window behind the shutter!


Here's another look at the illusion this trick creates.  That wonky wall of off-centered windows and non-performing floor space is no longer. 






Look who's jumped in bed ... guess he's telling me he needs some attention :)




I still want to add a few finishing touches to this room, but I'm pleased with the use of space and the harmony in the room.


If you have a room that feels unbalanced to you I hope this helps you think of visual illusions that could change the feel of the room.  I'd love to see photos of your creative solutions!


Also, I'm starting work on our Great Room and among other things I have an "abracadabra" project involving the fireplace and flanking bookcases planned; I hope you'll check back for the reveal. Here's a photo of the Great Room during our post-fire restoration last summer.  


Yes, that is my oven sitting on the floor ... items have a habit of appearing in odd places during a household fire restoration.  Luckily, the oven has returned to the kitchen, and I've talked a bit about that restoration here.  And the light fixture has also moved to the kitchen after it was shortened and the poles rethreaded so it was the appropriate length to hang over the sink.  So, back to the Great Room, what could I be up to?  


If you miss the reveal post of the Great Room (I've only just started this project) you can browse the (re)Decorate category in the sidebar to catch it and other past posts.  Or you might consider becoming a Follower of this blog so you'll always know when something new is posted.


Thanks for visiting, 











--------------Link Up's ------------------
This post is linked to the following:
Between Naps On The Porch, Between Naps on the Porch: A Miracle Makeover for Charlie Grady: Welcome to the 134th Metamorphosis Monday!
The DIY Showoff, http://thediyshowoff.blogspot.com/2011/08/diy-project-parade-and-powder-room.html
The Creative Girl, The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up
Not Just A HousewifeShow Me What Ya Got #37
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia: Tuesday's Treasures
Clean and Scentsible, Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark No. 4
Savvy Southern StyleSavvy Southern Style: Wow Us Wednesdays 27
House Of Hepworths, Hookin Up with HoH #62
Delightful Order, Delightful Order: Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Party - 25
Lolly Jane Boutiquehttp://lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com/2011/08/wgw-25-with-canvas-people.html
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating: Flaunt it Friday 68!
Simple Home Life,Simple Home Life: Features & Simply Creations Link Party # 22
At The Picket Fence, At The Picket Fence: Welcome to Inspiration Friday No. 29!
Blue Cricket Design, Show and Tell linking party! | Blue Cricket Design